San Diego Car Accident Attorneys
Auto accidents are unexpected and stressful. Even the most careful drivers may be involved. If you are in an accident, the San Diego car accident attorneys at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay are committed to helping restore your peace of mind as soon as possible.
Auto accident claims are the leading source of personal injury cases in the United States. Roughly half of all car accidents result in injury claims and a considerable number of those become lawsuits.
Car accidents usually happen because one driver was at fault. The theory of fault is usually negligence, meaning that the driver failed to act reasonably in the operation of his or her vehicle. A driver is required to drive in the way that a reasonably prudent person would drive. A driver cannot drive in such a way as to needlessly endanger other motorists and pedestrians. In other words, drivers must drive at a safe speed. If they do not, it is considered negligence.
Automobile accidents happen in a variety of ways under many different circumstances. Unique issues of negligence and liability apply to each accident types. Types of automobile accidents may include:
- Rear-end collisions – a traffic accident wherein a vehicle crashes into the vehicle in front of it. Common factors that contribute to rear-end collisions include by driver inattention or distraction, tailgating, panic stops, and reduced traction due to weather or worn pavement.
- Head-on accidents – where the front ends of two vehicles hit each other in opposite directions.
- Side-impact and T-bones – or broadside crash. These occur when a vehicle is struck in a side panel, typically by another car approaching from a sideways direction. These accidents can be extremely dangerous due to the lack of safety structures in the doors, and the proximity of the occupants’ bodies to the point of impact.
- Pedestrians hit by cars – can occur when pedestrians cross the road.
- Multiple vehicle accidents – involve many vehicles. Generally occurring on high-capacity and high-speed routes such as freeways, they are one of the deadliest forms of traffic accidents.
- Hit and runs or leaving the scene – act of causing a traffic accident and failing to stop and identify oneself afterwards.
- Parking lot accidents – usually occurring in a non-residential or commercial parking lot.
- Minor collisions or fender benders
- Semi-truck or 18 wheeler accidents – large commercial trucks that usually cause accidents occurring on the freeways or highways.
- DUI accidents – driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Drunk driving accidents often cause death or serious injury to the driver, passengers, or other motorists.
- Inclement weather car accidents – these are common in San Diego and throughout Southern California when it is raining and or foggy. California residents do not deal with rain very often so when it does rain there is usually an increase in traffic accidents.
- Inexperienced driver accidents – teenagers, and their lack of driving experience, are commonly the cause of auto accidents in the Carlsbad, San Diego, El Cajon and Mission Valley, California areas. Secondary causes of these accident can be intoxication (alcohol and or drugs) as well as distracted driving such as texting while driving.
California is well known for its extensive highway system. Highways near Chula Vista are also a primary location for high speed vehicle accidents. In addition to allowing cars to travel at higher speeds, highways are used by large trucks, commercial vehicles and buses that also travel at high speeds. Loss of control can happen in the flash of an eye blink. A brief moment of inattention, an inexperienced driver, or road debris can quickly cause an accident. Not only can the sheer larger size of some motor vehicles increase damage potential, the high speeds of travel compound effects when a crash does occur.
Causes of San Diego Highway Accidents
In San Diego and across California, the causes of high speed highway accidents are similar:
Driver inexperience and inattention
Blind spots that drivers neglect to check before making a lane change
Failure to yield
Driving while intoxicated or using drugs
Driving too fast for road conditions
The Chula Vista Law Firm of Howard Kitay focuses on personal injury law and getting highway accident clients the best settlement or court award for their injuries and property damage. We provide our clients with experienced legal representation strengthened by over two decades of winning cases.
Tragic Results of San Diego Auto Accidents
It is a simple fact that speed alone increases damages. When a car traveling at high velocity comes to a sudden stop, the occupants of that car continue to move forward at those same high speeds. Colliding with the vehicle interior, frame or being tossed out of the vehicle can result in severe head, neck, spine and internal damages or death. Victims can be pinned inside wreckage and bleed out while awaiting rescue. Damages can be severe and require extensive medical care, surgery and rehabilitation – if a recovery is possible. All this creates a tremendous financial burden for the victim and their family. Typical damage claims for highway accidents include:
Physical injury repair
Loss of limbs or paralysis
Work loss or disability
Medical and hospital bills
Rehabilitation therapy or surgery
Pain and suffering
San Diego Auto Accidents Lawsuits
Anyone can become a victim of a highway accident through no fault of their own. Even the safest vehicle offers scant protection in a high speed crash. Road hazards can cause a slide and roll over. Injuries in high speed crashes require expensive medical care and treatment.
Call Our San Diego Car Accident Attorneys
The San Diego car accident attorneys at The Law Office of Howard Kitay want to help you by offering a free case consultation. This will help you understand your legal options and future course of action. You do not pay unless we win your case. We serve clients throughout San Diego County including Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, Bonita, National City and San Ysidro. Reserve an appointment now for your free consultation; call 619-442-0542.
What to do after an auto accident?
- Seek medical treatment. It is critical that you visit with a doctor as soon as possible after your car accident. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it is a good idea to seek treatment in the event that you begin to experience new or worsening symptoms over the days following your accident.
- Contact the police, even if the accident is minor. A police report may help you with your case. The police report will provide a summary of the way the accident occurred and will identify the parties and the witnesses.
- Obtain witnesses. Retain the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you happen to have a camera in your vehicle, or a cell phone equipped with a camera, you should take pictures of the vehicles if there is visible damage. If you have visible injuries, you should photograph them as well. If you cannot take pictures at the scene of the accident, take them as soon as possible after the accident.
- Contact an experienced San Diego Auto Accident attorney at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay to report your claim and set up a free initial legal consultation. Your attorney can protect your rights and make sure valuable evidence is not destroyed. Often, insurance companies want to take statements immediately after an accident. It is important that you have received legal advice before providing such a statement. Your attorney can advise you issues ranging from how to make sure you are fully compensated for your vehicle to how to make sure you are getting the best medical treatment available.
Why hire our experienced San Diego car accident attorneys?
Insurance companies are in business to make money, not pay claims. Their interest is in their bottom lines, not in helping you. That is why you need someone protecting you and making sure you don’t get taken advantage of. We handle all the paperwork and legal issues and work to get your case settled quickly so you can get back to your normal life.
Demand the kind of representation you deserve. For over two decades the San Diego car accident lawyers at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay have helped injury victims throughout San Diego County. We hold careless drivers, their insurance companies and any other liable parties accountable for your benefits, injuries, pain and suffering.
Our experienced auto accident attorneys have helped San Diego auto accident victims with injuries ranging from minor cuts, scrapes and bruises to more severe, catastrophic injuries. We investigate cases and consult with highly qualified medical, engineering and accident reconstruction specialists. You may be able to recover compensation if you have suffered any of these damages:
- Lost wages (past and future income)
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Medical expenses
- Vehicle repair costs
If you or a loved one has been in an auto accident caused by another driver or suffered a wrongful death in a motor vehicle accident, our San Diego car accident lawyers can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Your family may be entitled to compensation for the loss of your family member’s care and companionship, funeral expenses and the mental anguish you have suffered. Contact us today at 619-578-2222.