Coronavirus alert: To protect you from COVID-19, we are now offering a quick and easy remote intake process via phone, FaceTime or Skype.

You Pay Nothing Until
We Win
Free Case Evaluation
Free Case Evaluation

California Learner’s Permit Rules Over 18

Posted in California Law,Car Accident on September 22, 2018

DISCLAIMER: If you are in need of more information in regards to obtaining a learner’s permit, please contact the DMV in your geographic area. The Law Offices of Howard Kitay offers legal representation to those who have been injured in the state of California, as we are only licensed to practice in this state. Information found in the post does not constitute as formal legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

All drivers in the state of California must receive a provisional, or “learner’s,” permit before getting an official driver’s license. Learner’s permits are restricted licenses that allow the holder to drive only in certain circumstances – generally under the supervision of an adult with a valid driver’s license. Learner’s permits are for drivers who are still learning the ropes and have not yet satisfied all the requirements for a driver’s license. If you ever have any questions about legal driving laws, reach out to personal injury lawyer Howard Kitay today.

In most cases, drivers must use the learner’s permits for one year before qualifying for a regular license. Many drivers get their permits at the age of 15 to start driving by the time they turn 16 – the legal driving age in California. If you’re applying for your learner’s permit as someone over the age of 18, here’s how your experience might differ from that of an underage driver.

The Graduated Driver License Process for Those Over 18

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2,333 teenagers ages 16 to 19 died in car accidents in a single year. That’s around sixteen deaths per day. The state of California has initiated what it calls the “Graduated Driver License” program, or GDL, in an effort to reduce the high number of car accidents involving teenagers. The GDL program requires all unlicensed drivers, regardless of age, to first obtain a provisional permit. To get a learner’s permit, you must be at least 15 ½ years old. Those 17 ½ and younger must take a Driver’s Education course before getting their permits.

If you’re 18 or older at the time of applying for a learner’s permit in California, you don’t have to take Driver’s Ed. While not a requirement, you may want to take a course anyway to help lower your car insurance costs. Most insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who have taken some type of education course. Taking Driver’s Ed can also help you become a safer, more prudent driver. State-approved Driver’s Ed courses consist of 25 classroom hours and six hours of driver training. To apply for your permit as someone over 18, you will need to complete the application, present all necessary documents, pass a test, and pay the application fee.

The first step toward your license if you don’t want to take Driver’s Ed as someone over 18 is visiting your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and taking the learner’s permit exam. The exam will test your knowledge on roadway signs, rules, and best practices. It involves an eye exam and written test. The exam has 46 questions. You will need to get at least 37 correct to pass. Bring your completed learner’s permit application (not available online), proof of Social Security, birth certificate, proof of identity, and proof of California residency. Your parent or guardian will not need to sign your application if you’re over the age of 18.

Driving Rules for Permitted Drivers Over 18

If you pass the permit exam and pay the $35 fee, you’ll receive your California learner’s permit. You have 12 months to complete all the required steps toward qualifying for a driver’s license once you have a permit. Missing the deadline means you will have to repeat all the aforementioned steps to get another learner’s permit. Even if you’re over the age of 18, you cannot drive alone with only a learner’s permit. Until you have your regular license, you must bring a parent, guardian, spouse, or other adult who is at least 18 years old (25 if you’re under 18) and has a valid license with you when you drive. The supervisor must sit close enough to control the vehicle, if necessary.

The process is similar if you wish to obtain a motorcycle or commercial learner’s permit. No matter the type of license, you will need to pass a behind-the-wheel driving test at your local DMV when it’s time to change your learner’s permit into a driver’s license. If you fail the test, you will need to retest until you pass. For more information about the learner’s permit and driver’s license processes for those over the age of 18 in California, contact your local DMV.

Free Case Evaluation

All Fields Required

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Location Pin

Main Office

275 East Douglas Ave., #111
El Cajon, CA 92020
Location Pin

Chula Vista

823 Anchorage Place
Chula Vista, CA 91914