Wrongful death can cause surviving family members significant emotional turmoil. It can also lead to life-changing financial losses for a family that loses its main earner. Wrongful death impacts many families throughout California due to fatal incidents such as car crashes, criminal attacks, medical malpractice, and work accidents. If you recently lost someone you love in an accident you believe was preventable, contact the Santee wrongful death lawyer at the Law Offices of Howard Kitay. Initial consultations with our Santee personal injury lawyers are free.
Why Choose Our Santee Wrongful Death Lawyers?
- Our lawyers know precisely how to handle wrongful death claims due to years of hands-on experience and knowledge in this practice area.
- Our attorneys, including our wrongful death attorneys, have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of past clients for cases throughout California.
- Our Santee wrongful death lawyers care about families. We only charge clients attorneys’ fees if we succeed in securing them compensation.
Do You Need Representation for a Santee Wrongful Death?
In general, it is in a family’s best interest to hire a wrongful death attorney to handle the legal side of things. A case as serious as one involving a fatality deserves attention from a wrongful death lawyer. After hiring an attorney, you can focus on your family, funeral arrangements and grieving while an experienced professional handles the legwork of your case. A lawyer will have the knowledge, skill and training to go up against insurance companies, provide trustworthy legal advice and fight for maximum financial recovery on your family’s behalf.
Questions to Ask When Considering If You Have a Wrongful Death Claim in Santee
Wrongful death is a tragedy that can occur under a variety of circumstances. Not every fatal accident, however, will give survivors the right to file a wrongful death claim. Even if someone did cause another person’s death, only certain parties bear the right to bring lawsuits in California. Ask yourself a few key questions to help determine whether you have grounds for a claim in Santee.
- Did someone cause the death? In California, the state’s definition of wrongful death is a fatality caused by another person’s wrongful actions. In general, you or your lawyer must prove that a human died, another person’s negligence or intent to harm caused the fatal injury, and that surviving family members suffered related damages.
- Are you an eligible party to file? Under state law, only a deceased individual’s surviving spouse (or domestic partner), child, or issue of a deceased child may file a claim to damages after someone’s wrongful death. If these parties do not exist, anyone with a legal claim to the decedent’s property through intestate succession may file a wrongful death claim.
- Are you within your time limit? The statute of limitations on a California wrongful death claim is two years from the victim’s date of death. This may differ from the date of his or her accident. You will only bear the right to seek damages if you file a cause of action within two years, with a few uncommon exceptions.
If you answered yes to these questions, contact Howard Kitay to discuss your wrongful death claim further. You may be eligible to recover compensation from one or more defendants for causing the death of someone close to you. Act quickly to reduce your risk of missing the deadline in Santee.
Contact a Santee Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Wrongful death claims can be complex, as well as difficult to navigate for a family in mourning. Hiring the right lawyer in Santee, California can help your family successfully resolve a case while benefitting from greater peace of mind. The lawyers at the Law Offices of Howard Kitay are passionate about bringing reckless, negligent, and criminal parties to justice for causing preventable fatalities in the community. Discuss your case in detail with one of our attorneys today. Call (619) 333-1563 or contact us online to request your free consultation.